Monday 2 June 2014

World of Wanderlust

Have you heard of World of Wanderlust? Brooke Saward? No? Well neither had I until a couple of months ago. Since discovering WOW and Brooke, I've become obsessed. Let me explain why:

Brooke is a Tasmanian girl, 22 years old that is currently making a living off travelling the world and sharing her adventures with her loyal followers via her blog, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube channel. She is currently 5 months into her 12 month solo trip. She has been to over 40 countries with more to come. Why have I become obsessed? To start with, Brooke is the same age as me and as an aspiring travel writer, she is truly an inspiration. Not just to people that dream about one day making some amount of money from writing about their travels, but to anyone that dreams of seeing the world. She takes amazing photos that take you on the journey with her. She has a beautiful writing style but more than anything, she's quirky and she lets you see her the way she is. She has worked hard, she has put herself out there and at just 22 years old, she has achieved some amazing things and she's not stopping there. With one E-Book already released, another on the way and a WOW app just around the corner, she is becoming more and more popular and well known. She is the perfect example of what you can do if you work hard for it.

As I mentioned, Brooke is getting paid to travel and to share all her tips and opinions of everything she does. Let me tell you, being a blogger is hard work. Sure, it's a fun hobby but that doesn't mean it's easy. It involved late nights, early mornings and thinking objectively about everything. Every moment that I'm travelling and sharing my own adventures, I am constantly taking everything in and thinking "how can I put this experience into words so others can feel like they're here with me?". As Lonely Planet have said in their Guide To Travel Writing:

"When you are on the road, travelling as a travel writer will force you to pay attention. You will look more closely, listen more clearly, taste more carefully and continually reflect on what you're experiencing. As a result, your travels will be deeper and richer."

I take my hat off to Brooke for doing it full-time. She may be living a dream (getting paid to travel!) but that doesn't make what she's doing easy. She has left her family and friends behind and gone on this amazing adventure by herself. She's spent countless days and nights alone, I have no doubt she would have felt lonely and homesick numerous times. But she's still there which I think is incredible. I can only hope that I one day have the chance to meet her and take my hat off to her in person (if I happen to be wearing one).

So do yourself a favour and go check out Brooke's blog; World of Wanderlust. Drool over her photos like I do day after day and read all about her travels and tips. I can't promise it won't leave you dying to book a trip to some amazing part of the world.

Photos courtesy of World of Wanderlust

 

No comments:

Post a Comment