Wednesday 6 March 2013

My Travel Bug: How it started

My travels began when I was just 11 months old. My parents were taking us; myself and my older brother and sister; to Canada to see our grandparents. This was also the first time I was going to meet them.

Of course, being so young, I don't remember any of it, but I look at photos or watch home videos and I know it happened. I wish I could remember the trip though so I would know what it was like to see snow, to play in it, to go tobogganing with my dad and having snowed sprayed into my face. I wish I could remember holding my grandpa's fingers as he taught me to walk and opening presents on my first and only (so far) White Christmas.


20130306-180044.jpg
I don't know if having my first trip as such a young age is what has given me the almighty urge to travel, but for as long as I could remember, the urge has been there. I remember when I was young, I would frequently look through some of Dad old book that were just filled with amazing pictures of the beautiful Canadian landscape and thinking to myself one day I'll go there and see that for real. Now that I have broadened my knowledge and interests as well as increased my travels (see my About Anna to find out where I've travelled to), I have felt the same way about so many different places. It has almost turned into a pull, getting stronger and stronger every day.

There are so many reasons I want to travel and that pull that I feel is just one of many. I also want to go because the history of the world has always been a fascination of mine. I'd love to go stand in front of some amazing, historic place like the great Egyptian Pyramids or some of the many ruins in Rome, to walk the streets in Florence and picture all the people that have walked the same streets, have stood in the same place and have been a part of history, have seen it happen.

I remember the feeling I've had when I've been standing on top of a snow-capped mountain in Canada and looked down on the city of Vancouver, or when I've been walking through the famous Tegallalang Rice Fields in Ubud. It was such an overwhelming feeling that I'm a small, insignificant speck in the world but in such a beautiful way.

20130306-180121.jpg


20130306-181038.jpg
Every year, I go through phases of wanting so desperately to get away. My mum calls it restlessness and I guess to a point it is, but that feeling is always there and I know it won't go until I've travelled till my heart's content.

No comments:

Post a Comment