Tuesday 23 July 2013

Bali, Day 2: A Bunny With Breakfast and a Monkey With Lunch

Today's weather: Sunny and warm with a beautiful breeze

Today's exchange rate: IDR 9300 to 9470 per Aussie $

Mum and I were awake at about 6:00 today. After we both tried to doze off again to no avail, we decided to get up and dressed and go for a walk along the beach. Double 6 was absolutely deserted. What a different world it is early in the morning. We continued down Double 6 until we reached the beach and walked onto the sand. It was a beautiful morning in Legian. There was lots of people out walking and running along the beach, enjoying the sound of the waves just as we were.

Looking South

We walked North along the beach as far as La Plancha (I finally found it, it's on the to-do list for November) when I spotted the Puri Saron hotel. This was the first hotel I had stayed at in Bali when I was 4 years old. I can only remember bits and pieces of the holiday so I was keen to have a little peek to jog my memory. The hotel hasn't changed much, but it's surroundings sure have. Mum mentioned that when we stayed there in 1996, it felt like it was miles away from everywhere. I remember walking onto the sand and seeing all the little crabs scuttling back into their holes. The holes are there, but not so many crabs these days.

After our little peek in the hotel, we started walking back South to go back to the Pearl. There are so many places along this strip that you wouldn't know existed unless you walked along there.

When we got back to the hotel, it was about 7:30 and I felt like I could go back to bed. But I was also REALLY hungry. So I had a shower and at 8:00, Mum and I made our way to the restaurant for breakfast. Breakfast here goes from 8:00-11:00 and is usually a good time to see the hotels resident bunny. It wasn't long before he had appeared. We ordered our breakfast of juice, a fruit plate and an omelette with toast each (Mum bought her own gluten-free bread from home to use) and with the arrival of the fruit came the Pearl's rabbit to join us. Being the generous person I am and - let's admit it- excited to have a rabbit join us for breakfast, I was more than willing to share my papaya with him.

The Pearl Restaurant in the light
Fruit platter
Pearl the bunny
After our breakfast, which was very satisfying, we were off to get ready for a morning of shopping. We had planned to go only to Matahari and the Discovery Centre today and head to Seminyak square tomorrow afternoon. We walked South along Jalan Legian so we could look in a few shops and then decided to get a taxi when we began to feel the heat. The taxi ride an easy one, but the traffic around Kuta Square is always pretty bad, so we got out around the corner to try and avoid this. Now usually Mum and I, when we're with my sister, spend about an hour at Matahari. Today, I think we spent maybe 20 minutes. I wondered through the shoes without finding anything that caught my eye, bought a few things from the Maybelline make-up counter and I was done. I found Mum looking at bags. We both found one that we liked so Mum bought it and I have claimed it as mine. A nice bright pink with a long strap and decent sized compartments. And even better, it was on sale for about $15.
My (and Mum's) new bag
We were in and out in record time, and also made a record for how much we didn't buy. From here, we walked the short distance to the Discovery Centre. In here, our firsts stop was Bamboo Blonde. I didn't find much that caught my eye (I must be off my game), but did but a plain black dress and black singlet. How boring of me. We popped next door into Sketchers and were pleasantly surprised to see that they were having a 15% off everything sale. I decided on some beautifully bright running shoes that came down to about $85 from $100. Bright shoes supposedly increase your motivation to exercise.
We made our way upstairs to Centro where we expected the real shopping begin. It was straight to the shoe section. I have been known to get about 3 pairs of shoes in one sitting. Guess how many I bought today? None!! Never thought I'd say this, but I just wasn't feeling the shopping today. Maybe it works better when you're stressed and tired and cold back home. I did however find two necklaces; one for me and one for a friend. Mine cost about IDR 129,000 and the other about IDR 89,000. Mum also found another bag that was about $35.
Mum's bag
Loaded with all our shopping- not really- it was time for lunch. A few days ago we had decided on Poppies Restaurant down Poppies Lane 1. Mum was a fan of this restaurant and they boast having world famous Piña Colada's so I was eager to give it a try. We caught a taxi to the beach end entrance of Poppies Lane and walked down. Usually it gets very hot down this lane, but there has been a beautiful breeze over the last couple of days so we made it there without getting too sweaty.
As we stepped through the gate into the restaurant, it felt like we stepped into a different world. It has beautiful, lush gardens and a trickling pond in the middle. The Kuta noise just melted away behind us. We seated ourselves and had a look around. There were probably about 4 other tables with people seated at them. One table had a few girls around my age, and the others had older patrons.
A waiter came and gave us our menus, but we already knew what we were having. BRING OUT THE PIÑA COLADA'S. Mum suggested we share one, but I thought that if they're really as good as they claim to be, I want one all to myself. What a great choice this was. The Piña Colada's are served in a hand-carved coconut so it looks like a monkey. And it was delicious and a very reasonable price of IDR 98,000
Walking into Poppies Restaurant
Yes, I do like Piña Colada's
And so does Mum
Soon after our cocktails arrived (I may have guzzled at least half of it already) we had decided on our mains. Mum was very happy to see that the menu was clearly labelled with gluten-free meals, as well as vegetarian ones. I saved her the trouble of explaining her gluten intolerance. She ordered Gado Gado and I ordered a starter of Lumpia and Mixed Sate for my main.
The service was quick, but maybe that was an illusion after drinking our cocktails, which were eyed off eagerly by some of the other patrons. Both were good portions and very enjoyable. My sate arrived on one of the little clay bbq's, smoking away. We were both happy, but once again, that could have been a side effect of our cocktails. The bill came to about $40 for 2 cocktails, a starter, 2 mains and 2 ice teas. We left happily with full bellies. Poppies Restaurant also has very nice, clean toilets. They were a pleasure to use.
Lumpia
Mixed Sate
Gado Gado
Female toilets

After our lunch, we were ready to make our way back to the hotel for our much needed foot massage. We continued along Poppies Lane to Jalan Legian where we planned to get a taxi back to the Pearl. This road is all one way going in the wrong direction so we decided to walk North until the road became a two-way street again. We really underestimated how far this was. If I thought I needed a foot massage before, I really needed one now. And a back massage. And a swim.

We did finally make it back to the hotel and I was quick to get into my bathers and plonk myself on a pool lounge to wait until it was time for our foot massage. I was hoping that the girls would be able to do this next to the pool so I didn't have to move, but unfortunately they couldn't. It was probably best seeing as I dozed off again during my massage. I'm still baffled as to how I can manage to do that with a stranger rubbing my body, but I wasn't complaining. It was an amazing foot massage.

Relaxing by the pool

It was then time for a swim. I had a quick dive through before settling down on a lounge in the sunshine secretly hoping to spy a Frenchman at the restaurant. Sorry ladies, I haven't managed to get a photo yet. I rested my weary feet for a while before it was time for a shower and to get dressed. We had organised to meet up with a fellow Trip Advisor regular for drinks at Hitana. We made our way there just before 4:00 and sat down to wait. Now I'm usually quite an organised person, but for some reason on Earth, I hadn't bothered to message this person to confirm. So after waiting a while, it seemed that the meeting was not going to take place. This meant a free afternoon.

Looking over the beach from Hitana
Hello!

We decided to wander North along the beach front to have a look at some popular Legian hotels. After a quick sneak peak at the Jayakarta and a walk through the Kumala Pantai- both in a great location, but not appealing to me personally- we made our way back to the hotel, but not without stopping to look at a few menus for dinner and in numerous market stalls along the way. Mum mentioned how nice it was to be able to stroll along the street and not be bothered too much by the market people. Very different from Sanur. We popped into a couple of market stalls; one of which had some eye-catching shoes in the window. We still did not buy any but I did get a bracelet that I liked. The shop was Puri Air which is number 23 on Double 6. A bit further along, Mum bought a few coloured scarves that were IDR 30,000 without bargaining. What a bargain!

Bracelet from Puri Air: IDR 150,000
Shoes in Puri Air
Mum's bargain scarves

Mum and I decided to have a peak at Villa Coco, which is down a lane way just off Double 6. I am booked in to stay here in November with a few girlfriends. Unfortunately, we couldn't get into one of the villas to have a look, but we might try again tomorrow. So we continued on our way and decided to stop in at a small warung called Cafe Jadi. It's tucked down the same lane way as the Pearl and is virtually right next door. Some fellow patrons at the hotel had reccomended it to us, so we were eager to give it a try. It's definitely what you'd call a quaint little place, but the owner was very nice and we had heard the food was good so we booked a table for tomorrow night. Apparently everything here is freshly cooked and whatever is on the menu is what the owner was able to get at the markets that day. We've both requested beef rendang for tomorrow night and she has promised to deliver.

Cafe Jadi
Cafe Jadi's menu

We made our way back to our room to put our feet up again, but not for long because soon enough it was time for dinner. We had decided on Waroeng Asia for dinner tonight as the smells were amazing when we checked out their menu. Some other Australians that are staying at the Pearl also said it's great as well as telling us they had had a not so good meal at Cafe Jadi. Mum was hungry soon so I forced myself to leave the comfort of the pool lounge I was on and go for dinner. Who did we bump into on our way out, but the Frenchmen of the Pearl. I apologise once again, but no photos were taken. I feel somewhat uncomfortable getting my flirting hat on in front of my mum. Waroeng Asia is down a lane way on the corner of Double 6 and Jalan Werkudara, which leads to the street entrances of hotels like the Jayakarta and Kumala Pantai.

We were seated quickly and ordered 2 cokes, which were delivered straight away. The menu is limited (and has mainly Thai food), but we decided to share an entree of Vietnamese spring rolls, Green Chicken Curry for Mum's main and Pad Thai for mine. Our spring rolls arrived about 3 minutes later and they were delicious. Our mains arrived not long after and they too were most enjoyable, with beautiful, fresh flavours. Another delicious meal in Bali. Our meal came to about $20.

Sign on Double 6
Vietnamese spring rolls
Pad Thai
Green Chicken Curry

Mum and I were both pretty tired by this point so be mosied along Double 6, stopping in a DVD shop before returning our room. I once again failed to spot a Frenchman. It's going an early night tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment