Saturday 25 October 2014

Bali, Day 3: We're Not In Candi Dasa Anymore...

Mum and I managed to sleep in this morning and by sleep in I mean we didn't wake up until after 6:00. It was a good start to the day. This morning was our last morning in Candi Dasa. I cannot recommend the area and the Candi Beach Resort enough. Candi Dasa is a beautiful, sleepy little town with some stunning hotels and great restaurants. Candi Beach Resort is one of those stunning hotels and I would stay here again, without a doubt. The staff were lovely, the grounds were simply beautiful, the rooms, although a little outdated, were clean and comfy. Everything was perfect. But before we could say goodbye, I had some pampering that needed to be done! After a delicious breakfast with a great view over the ocean, I spent a little time by the pool before heading up to the hotels phenomenal spa. Although it's a bit pricey, it was just too good to pass up. I had booked myself in for a 2 hour pamper session with a massage, body scrub, body mask and flower bath. 

 
If you read my blog yesterday, you would have seen photos of the hotels spa but let me paint a picture for you anyway; the spa sits on top of one of the hotels restaurants, looking out over the ocean. Each room is its own little building, perfectly angled to make the most of the view. Looking out to that view, listening to the waves, it was just magical. I went upstairs at 9:00 for my booking and after a nice welcome drink of ginger tea and filling out of a medical form, I was shown to my room. All of the rooms have 2 massage tables in them but I was so excited to have it to myself. Who needs a Prince Charming anyway? I was shown to the bathroom, directed to take off my clothes, put on the oh-so-sexy paper panties, a dressing gown and slippers. I always just have to laugh at myself when I put on those paper panties, I don't think they could possibly be flattering on anyone. 

I was directed to sit to have a quick foot bath before the massage was underway. I had chosen this particular treatment because it had a hot stone massage. Although it was nice, it was definitely not as good as Koa's. I cannot wait to return to Sanur so I can get one. I have no complaints about the spa at all. It was so lovely drifting off with the sound off the waves. The girl was very respectful of my modesty, her pressure was perfect in that I didn't cringe once while she was massaging me. It was really beautiful. After the  body mask, I had a quick rinse in the shower before hopping into the flower bath with a fresh coconut to drink. It was perfect. Such an incredible view over the hotels pool and ocean although it took me a minute to get comfortable with the idea of being in this bath and being able to see everyone around the pool. In fact I got so comfortable that it took me a second to register that I was standing butt naked in front of the window while getting out of the bath. As far as I know, no one saw but I just laughed it off. 



Back at the spa reception, I filled out a comment form and paid. I even got a sneaky 10% discount. Once again, I don't know if this was my doing, due to them knowing I'm a travel agent, or Yuda's from being friendly with the staff. Either way, I was happy. 

I only had a little while to kill before we were due to get picked up by Oka. It was off to Sanur today. He was at the hotel right on time, we said our thanks and goodbyes to the lovely receptionist we had met when we first checked in and told her how much we loved the hotel. I was actually quite sad to be heading back to Sanur! 

With a quick stop to pick up Hilary and Nadine from their hotel, we were on our way. We had plans to stop at Komune Beach Club again, for lunch this time. I had checked out the menu before hand to make sure it catered for mums gluten intolerance and Nadine's vegetarianism. With the traffic, it ended up being about an hours drive but with so many laughs still carrying over from our dinner last night, it passed like no time at all. 

Komune Beach Club doesn't have an entry fee at all and if you're not a guest, you just need to purchase food or drinks to be able to use the facilities. They've got a great menu with a huge range of western and Indonesian food plus cocktails and delicious fresh juices. The options were endless. Mum and I both got a fresh juice, I ordered a chicken schnitzel burger from lunch, mum got a tuna sandwich made with her own gluten-free bread, Oka got some Nasi Goreng and Hilary and Nadine both got salads of sorts. We were all really happy with our food but even more happy with the atmosphere. The service was great, the place was stunning and so relaxing. Not at all like other beach clubs where you feel the need to dress to impress. Komune has such a chilled out vibe. 









By the time we finished our lunch, it was 2:00. I would have loved to stay and hang out a bit more but time was just not allowing for it. It was maybe another 20 minutes to Sanur and I felt so good as we turned onto the main road and the familiar restaurants and shops were within view. We dropped Nadine and Hilary off at their hotel before heading to ours; Kejora Suites. Located right on the main road, it's in a great location and is a nice little boutique hotel. Exactly our kind of hotel, right? Well it wasn't long after coming into the hotel that I felt claustrophobic; there was no breeze drifting through, hardly any pool lounges available, no grass, no gardens, no palm trees towering over us. Did I love it? Well it certainly wasn't the Candi Beach Resort. Never have I been so... not sad but up that alley... to be back in Sanur. Where had the space gone? I couldn't hear the waves anymore or feeling the beautiful breeze. I couldn't even get a lounge in the sun. Despite that, it is a really nice little hotel. And I will exaggerate the word little. 




Nevertheless, the staff were lovely checking us in. We got quite a surprise when we were shown around our room but one I'm not allowed to fill you in on until I get home, so stay tuned for that one (although some of you already know;)). We got settled, had a dip and "enjoyed" the hotel. I may be sounding like a brat now, and don't get me wrong, it is a lovely hotel but I have now been so spoilt after staying in Candi Dasa, it's hard to adjust to having to share a small space with so many people. The rooms though are lovely; spacious and very comfortable. If you could take these hotel rooms and put the at the Candi Beach Resort, you'd have a perfect hotel. 

We headed down to the beach for a drink before it was time for our dinner plans, where we bumped into Hilary and Nadine and some of their family. What a small world!! Now that I could feel the breeze, see the ocean I felt better about being back in Sanur. We enjoyed some more chats and laughs over a drink before we had to head off. Yuda had insisted on us joining him and his family for dinner tonight and we could never say no to him. Not that I would want to anyway, I just love spending time with him and his family. We were off to a local warung tonight that was owned and run by the village. Yuda had booked and ordered ahead for us, not giving us any choice in the food choices which was fine by us, because we completely trust his judgement! The food was all lovely but even if I wanted to tell you where it was, I couldn't. Without Oka driving me there again, there's no way I would be able to find it. 


Yuda and his family are truly some of the loveliest people I have met and I am so blessed to have them in my life. A trip to Bai would no longer be complete without seeing them. We had a lovely dinner together before returning to their home for coffee and tea. We had a lovely walk back to our hotel where it was time for an early night. Tomorrow, mum and I are up bright and early (as usual) for a Sanur bike tour. Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment