Tuesday 28 October 2014

Bali, Day 5: Friends- New and Old

My last full day in Bali. I'd definitely feel more sad about it if I wasn't coming back again in 3 weeks time. Mum and I were up bright and early again, ready to start the day. We had decided yesterday to head down to Sand for breakfast so we could eat overlooking the ocean. It was so nice and quiet on the beach, the restaurant had beautiful music playing; a perfect atmosphere. I was feeling so content. We ordered breakfast and sat back patiently for it to come. Mum had a beautiful fruit salad that had a touch of cinnamon through it. So yummy. She had bought along her own gluten free bread for French toast. I started off with a fresh coconut and ordered an egg white omelette which turned out to be more like scrambled eggs because none of the "fillings" were actually in it. Ther service here was great and we both loved our breakfast. While mum headed off for a hair creme bath, I decided to stay and enjoy the vibe. 



Breakfast cost about $20 which was the same as what we paid yesterday for our very mediocre breakfast at the Glass House. I happily wandered back to the hotel and plonked by the pool to relax until mum returned. I had the pool mostly all to myself. I passed the time reading my book and hopping in and out of the pool when the sun got too much. One hour passed, two and then three hours before mum came back again. I was beginning to think she had gotten lost! But no she just got caught up shopping, bumping into people and more shopping. 

 

It was time for lunch and even though I was in Sanur, I was heading back to Seminyak/Canggu to go to La Finca. I absolutely love this restaurant for its delicious tapas and good service. Even though the traffic was horrendous getting there, it was so worth it. It wasn't long before I made a new little friend. As soon as I had arrived, a little cat had approached me seeking some love and attention. Being a self-confessed cat lady, I was all for it. She was so cuddley and purry. The moment I started ignoring her, she was up to my lap asking for more. What a cutie. Yes, I did scrub my hands afterwards before eating lunch. 




The menu at La Finca always excites my tastebuds; so many yummy things to choose from! First choice was a Pintxos De Iberico which was a bite-sized bruschetta type thing was some delicious cured meat on top. 



I stuck to a few favourites with the Spanish Meatballs, Patatas Bravas, Crispy Squid and some new dishes with Galician style octopus and chorizo and cinnamon croquettes. 






Everything is so delicious as always but I was left a little disappointed by the octopus. It was maybe a little bit overcooked but it really could have done with a bit of moisture. Just a drizzle of oil with some seasoning would have made it perfect. Nevertheless, I am so happy with the food, some of which I shared with my new little friends, mostly because she wouldn't leave me alone but how can you say no to that face?!


The staff at La Finca call a taxi to take me back to Sanur but I've got one stop along the way. After getting my Mimpi Mannis shoes yesterday, one of my friends begs me to get her a pair and being the generous friend I am that loves giving presents, I agree. I ask the taxi to take me back via Oberoi Street so I can jump out and grab her a pair but he tries telling me that Oberoi is a one way street that he can't go down. This is a new rule that came in sometime between when I was last there in March and now. The shop was way too far away to walk but he doesn't seem to care. He goes a back way, drops me off at a gang and tells me to walk and then I can get another taxi. Well he clearly doesn't want my money. I give him no tip at all and no thanks. Lucky the walk from where he dropped me wasn't far at all, I get the shoes and a Blue Bird drives past. Perfect timing. The traffic getting back into Sanur isn't great but I make it. 

We have plans tonight to meet some friends for drinks before dinner. Our first stop is The Regent, which is quite a new property in Sanur. I can't say I would ever stay here- it's not my style at all and quite out of my price range- but the Happy Hour they have is great. They've got a great range of cocktails that are buy one, get one free plus free canapés throughout. Happy Hour is out on a terrace that overlooks the beach. They have a couple of guys singing acoustic and the service is fantastic. We chat away, get a couple of cocktails each and enjoy the canapés that come around. I sneak off for 10 minutes to do a quick room inspection (huge, nice view but not very attractive decor) before returning to enjoy another cocktails. The view is beautiful and the sky gets a gorgeous hint of pink as the sun sets behind us. 





I paid $15 for my 2-for-1 cocktails plus the canapés which I'm really happy with. It's a lovely place to come for evening drinks. From The Regent, we wander south along the beach path to one of our favourites bars: the Bamboo Bar at the Prama Hotel (previously Sanur Bsach Hotel) where they have swings around the bar. We meet up with more friends that have come to swing with us. A few drinks, a few laughs before we catch a taxi to Sand restaurant for dinner. It's a very late dinner and I wasn't particularly hungry but when do I ever turn down food?! I decided to choose some fresh squid to be grilled and I'm so happy I did. It was really beautifully cooked and had delicious flavours. Everyone is really happy with their meals and mum and I once again paid about $20. Not bad at all. 

It was about 10:30 when we decide to call it a night and wander back to our hotel. For once I'm not suffering from Bali blues because my next trip is well within sight. 


No comments:

Post a Comment