Tuesday 26 November 2013

Bali, Day 10: And Then There Were Two

Today's exchange rate: IDR 10,770 per AUS $
Today's weather: Beautiful, sunny morning. Overcast afternoon

Today was our last morning together. After Virgin changed our flight time from 6:00pm to 1:30pm, Mikhala and I decided to stay an extra night but Courtney and Sami had to get home. I was up at 6:00 again but decided to skip the morning walk and just hang out. The girls were up not long after. We all headed to the communal pool to use the WiFi and while we were there, our breakfast was delivered. We opted to eat it by the pool instead of going back to our villa.


Before long, Sami and Courtney had finished their packing and were ready to go. The holiday has gone so fast, it didn't feel like we had just spent 10 whole days together. Villa Coco had free airport transfers so that took care of how they would get there. We bid them farewell as someone came to collect their luggage and just like that, they were gone. It felt quite weird and unusually quiet without them.


Mikhala and I decided to make the most of our last couple of hours in the villa. We spent some time around the pool, enjoying the beautiful sunny morning until we both got bored and decided to go out and do something. I decided that I really did want a couple of those dresses I tried to buy yesterday so we walked down Double 6 to the shop. I did manage to get the "morning price" on the dresses but the lady just would not budge. I ended up paying about $40 for 2 of them and I'm planning on letting my sister choose one. If she's nice to me;)

We crossed the road so Mikhala could pick up some sunglasses for a friend and I spotted the recently popular soft drink/beer can speakers. I decided to get a couple for no other purpose than I wanted them. I bought 2 for 300,000 Rupiah. Fingers crossed they don't stop working!!

We walked up Double 6 towards Legian Road to get some more money changed over before we went back to finish packing. Even though we were allowed to stay in the villa until 2:00, we were both keen to move onto our next stop: Poppies Cottages. When I had finished my packing, we made sure we had everything and we were off. I think when we got into the taxi, it was the happiest I had seen the male receptionist. I had given Poppies a call earlier to check what time we could get into the room. I was told 1:00 so we planned on leaving our luggage at reception and going for lunch, but when we arrived, we were told the room was ready for us. We checked it out, got a bit comfy, then set out for lunch.


We walked down Poppies Lane towards the beach and stopped at Sandbar for lunch. I don't think the waitress even noticed we had come in and sat down until I got up to get our own menu's. We ordered drinks, salt and pepper squid to share, a club sandwich for me and chicken burger for Mikhala. The food was prompt, but the club sandwich didn't come with any bacon or any chips, even though there was a little bowl of tomato sauce in the middle of my plate. I checked the menu and noticed it didn't come with chips so I ordered some more. We finished eating and sat for a while wondering how long it took to fry up some chips. When none were coming out, I asked the waitress. She looked at me with a confused expression and asked if I had ordered chips. I told her I had, that I had asked her for some when I was checking the menu. She had obviously completely forgotten about them so I told her not to worry about them and we got the bill. It was about $35 for our meals.

We left and walked back to Poppies, stopping here and there to look. I made a new friend who claimed his name was Jack Sparrow so I told him my name was Elizabeth Swan. He thought I was funny. Back at Poppies, we were ready for a swim. The pool was nice an quiet, despite the few people laying around. There was no fight for lounges and the towels were in good condition. Into beautiful lagoon like pool which was a beautiful temperature. The pool is a bit small, but perfect for the size of the hotel. We went to try out the spa as well but the bubbles weren't working. As I was sitting there trying to turn them on, I hadn't noticed all the little red ants crawling around and onto me until I got bitten. They're nasty little buggers. I had a shower to make sure they were all gone.

We sat around the pool for a little while before Mikhala decided to head back to the room for a rest. I enjoyed the peacefulness for a bit longer before I decided to join her. I sat out on the verandah and took a moment to appreciate where we were. Poppies was lovely. It was so quiet despite being in the middle of Kuta. I could only hear the traffic if I really tried, and even then it wasn't enough to cause any bother. Our cottage was towards the back of the property and had a lovely little garden in the front, giving it plenty of privacy. The room was great with a lovely bathroom and exactly what we needed for our last night. I wish we could have stayed longer than just one night, but I'm sure I'll be back again.

While Mikhala was resting, I tested out my new can speakers and discovered I didn't really know how to work them. I decided to take a walk down to my new friend, Jack Sparrow, and see if he could show me how. While I was trying to find the right market stall, I walked all the way back down to the beach and went down to the Kuta Bazaar markets on the corner. I had seen a couple of necklaces in there I liked and after getting approval from my sister, I decided to get a couple of them.

I walked back up Poppies Lane, found the right market stall but now the right person. Jack Sparrow wasn't there!! But his friends had a bit of a fiddle and figured out how to work them. All good. I felt like exploring a bit more so I walked past Poppies Cottages, around the corner and to Un's Restaurant. Many people recommended this to me for dinner tonight, so I had a peak and booked a table for 7:00. I continued walking down the lane and onto the street. I wandered down a little way, saw a nice looking spa that I thought we might go to after dinner before turning back and returning to the hotel.
The overcast had cleared up a bit so Mikhala and I decided we'd walk down to the beach with hope of seeing the sunset. As we were leaving the hotel, we came across the resident cat. He was a friendly little fellow which the strangenest meow I have ever heard from a cat. Another guest came down the path and told us how friendly he was. As she walked off, the cat went rushing after her to get into her room where he apparently liked to sleep. We set off down Poppies Land towards the beach. It sure was busy. So many people walking, sitting, drinking, chatting. The sunset wasn't great but it was lovely to sit, admire the sun behind the clouds and chat about the holiday we'd had. We only sat for a little while before we decided we were both hungry enough to head to dinner.

Un's is a lovely little restaurant tucked down a laneway off Poppies. The waiters were lovely as was the setting. We sat at our table and were given cold towels and complimentary mini margaritas to begin with. The drink was delightful! We ordered drinks and Voule vent to start with and we both decided on chicken "Maryland". The service was really good. When I couldn't decide what to get, the waiter made a few suggestions, the chicken being one of them. The food was really nice and we were both happy with the meals so we decided to stay for dessert too. It was our last night in Bali after all, so why not?! Mikhala ordered the toblerone chocolate mousse and I once again couldn't decide so I told the waiter to surprise me. I ended up getting a brownie with ice cream. We both enjoyed the desserts, and I think Mikhala fell in love with hers.

After dinner, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted to go get a massage. I think all the decisions I had made about this trio and during had gotten to me; I just couldn't make a decision about the simplest of things. I told myself yes, I would go get a massage. After paying our bill, about $60, I headed off for my massage while Mikhala went back to the hotel. I walked down the road and went back to the spa I had spotted earlier. I walked in and was asked to wait a little while until a massage therapist was available. It didn't take long before I was being lead up stairs to the massage room. The room was unfortunately overlooking the street. It was quite noisy but I was hoping that I'd be able to zone out. I did for a while and the massage was lovely but that all came to a halt when I heard someone getting a happy ending massage. It's really not the kind of thing you want to listen to while trying to relax. I stayed for a while and tried to enjoy the massage but the two things combined, I just couldn't relax so I got up to leave. The therapist didn't speak very good language so went to get another staff member. I didn't want to say anything about the happy ending I had to listen to, I just said it was too noisy and I couldn't relax. They nicely didn't charge me full price.


I went back to the hotel, showered and we watched a movie for a while until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.


My holiday may be finished, but my blog posts are not. I will be writing individual reviews of hotels and restaurants we went to as well as the activities we participated in so stay tuned! Until next time Bali.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment