Monday 18 November 2013

Coming Home to Bali

My friends and I arrived in Bali late last night. Our 6:00pm Virgin flight was unfortunately delayed about 50 minutes, but we were thankful it wasn't any longer. The flight was about as exciting as flights can be. Food was served, movies were watched and I was able to catch a glimpse of the sunset out of my window. Thankfully the plane wasn't full so we were able to spread out a bit. We landed not long after 10 and after a short wait for the buses to take us on an even shorter ride (about 100 metres) we were into the new airport.

I had checked a couple of days ago how many flights would be landing at the same time and there was at least 5 so I was actually quite thankful that our flight was a bit late. By the time we got through, there was no line at all for the visa's but unfortunately the opposite was true for immigration. I found that I wasn't annoyed about waiting in the que which I usually would be (because I just want to be on my holiday already) because I was sharing it with 3 great friends. We chatted and laughed and the wait seemed like nothing. By the time we got through, the luggage had arrived and we were through to customs in about 5 minutes. All up, we were out in about 50 minutes. Outside our driver, Adi, was waiting for us. He lead us out of the airport, up the stairs and to his car where we finally started making our way to our first accommodation; The Raven's Nest Villa in Sanur.

It was nearly 11 when we arrived. I wasn't sure what to expect when we arrived; whether there would be someone there to meet us and show us around or whether Adi would be doing it. After a quick tour around, Adi left us and we explored a bit more by ourselves. We were all very happy with the villa's first impressions, but disappointed that there was no WiFi as we all wanted to let our families know we arrived safely. Nevertheless, we made ourselves comfortable, picking our rooms and settling in. Ron, the villa owner, had made sure there were Bintang's and Bali Ciders in the fridge as well as some satay seeing as no restaurants would be serving food by the time we arrived. I heated up the food and we chatted as we ate.

Myself and Sami decided to have a quick late night walk down to CocoMart which is open 24 hours. We grabbed only a few things like water bottles (even though the villa has a water filter), toothpaste and shampoo and conditioner. Even though it was after midnight and the sky was cloudy, it was humid so we were ready for a swim. We quickly got into our bathers and all 4 of us got in. The pool was the perfect temperature. It was lovely swimming around in the dark, chatting with my friends and just thinking "I'm finally here again." It still doesn't quite feel real yet. By this time, I was starting to feel pretty tired so we all decided it was time for bed. We were all looking forward to our first day in Bali together.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment