Friday 27 December 2013

Bali Stand Up Paddle School

Stand up paddle boarding (or SUP) is something that has gotten very popular lately and for me, it was something that I had wanted to try for quite a while. For my most recent trip to Bali, I had planned it so my friends and I had a different tourist adventure to do in each different area we stayed in and as Sanur is a very tame area, SUP is what I decided on. Being a fairly active person, I was really looking forward to it, including the 7:00am start. My friends were less excited. I had organised it all via email with the company owner, Jankie, who had instructed us to meet him at the company's surf shop located across the road from the Sanur Beach Hotel. From there, we were lead to Villa Puri Ayu where the paddle boards are stored. It looks like a gorgeous little hotel, tucked away between the main road and the beach. We were lead down to the beach where we had a quick lesson on the sand where we were instructed on where to place our feet, how to go from sitting to standing, how to hold and use the paddle and general safety. I always appreciate these kind of intro's before partaking in something new and this one was really thorough and clear.

Before long, we were out on the water. Our clothes were put in a boat that was on stand by to bring us back in if something happened or the winds were too strong. It was reassuring to know that they had a back plan in place if it was needed. We paddled out about 500 metres to where the reef is. The reef acts as a long barrier which keeps the rest of the water in Sanur very calm so paddling out was very easy. The waves on the reef were small, which was perfect for us beginners. Our guide kept instructing us, encouraging us to stand up and catch a wave throughout and when we got a bit lazy, he didn't push us to continue. We happily floated around a bit, enjoying the water and the sun before we decided to head back into shore.

By the time we got back, we were all ready for breakfast. We could have stayed out longer if we chose to, but hunger had gotten the best of us. We all really enjoyed our morning on the waves and it is definitely something I'd do again. Bali Stand Up Paddle School has lessons for beginners available, as well as board hire if you already know what you're doing. It was a fun and refreshing way to start the morning and I look forward to doing it again and hopefully challenging myself with some bigger waves.

Bali Stand Up Paddle School was the first one of its kind in Bali. The boards are all in great condition and the instructors know what they're doing. If you're thinking that it's something you'd like to try but you might not be fit enough, I reassure you that it was not very physically demanding at all. Click here to check out their website and book a lesson for your next Bali trip.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment