Friday 14 March 2014

Bali, Day 7: A Nothing Exciting Kind Of Day

Today's weather: overcast with a few drops of rain

Today's exchange rate: 10,250 Rupiah per AUS $

Today was our last morning on Lembongan. When I got out of bed and wandered outside, Mount Agung was the clearest I've seen it since we first arrived. I was going to miss that view. We chilled out for a while before we headed downstairs for our last breakfast at The Deck. It had definitely been our favourite restaurant for either breakfast or lunch and I highly recommend it. Today was no exception. I ordered the Muntig's Bread served with bacon, spinach, poached eggs and hollandaise, Sam had a bacon and egg breakfast roll plus we ordered juice and a side of hash browns. Not only was the food good, but the service and of course that beautiful view. We loved it.

It was time to get back upstairs and pack. I didn't bother doing it properly considering it would all be coming out again once we got to Sanur so we still had a couple of hours to kill. We decided to spend them hanging out at the villa. We lounged in the sun and on the verandah, reading our books and enjoying that gorgeous view. Before we knew it, it was time to settle the bill, lock up our bags and wait for the Rocky Fast Boat truck to come pick us up. Back down to the beach we went and onto the boat. I was much smarter this time and sat towards the back of the boat where the petrol fumes were much less bothersome. The ride couldn't have been more than 20 minutes, it went so quickly. It seemed like no time at all before the familiar Sanur coastline was within view and the boat was slowing down.

The cost of our ticket ($45 per person, return) included drop-off at our next destination, whether it be a hotel or an airport. We were off to the Tamukami, where I had stayed with Mum back in July last year. I was looking forward to returning. What I hadn't expected to feel was the overwhelming knowledge that we were officially back in Bali. From the quiet streets of Lembongan where there were no honking taxis or pushy market people, the opposite was true from where I was sitting in car to the hotel. I needed to readjust.

We pulled into the familiar driveway down to the Tamukami and I felt at ease again. It was going in 2:00 so I knew we'd be able to check in straight away. After the usual formalities, we were directed down to the bar for our welcome drink then to our room. The room isn't much after staying at Harmony Villas, but it's nice, comfortable, spacious and good value for money. Our room is upstairs with a view of the pool (as all the rooms have), with twin beds, a sitting area and a spacious bathroom. What more do you need? We took a moment to settle in before heading downstairs for a quick dip and then lunch.

I bet you can guess where we went for lunch; Mona Lisa! I couldn't wait to get my favourite beef rendang for the first time since November. We strolled down towards the restaurant and took a seat under the fan. I didn't even need to look at the menu, I knew exactly what I wanted. My rendang was as delicious as ever, but the meat was not as tender as it could have been. I enjoyed it nonetheless. Sam ordered a Nasi Goreng special that she really enjoyed.

After lunch we strolled along the main drag, stopping at a CocoMart for water and credit for my phone. From there, it was onto Hardy's where Sam wanted to check out a tattoo place. Yes, she is planning on getting a tattoo. Or should I say two? Don't shoot the messenger Mum!! She booked in for tomorrow morning before we wandered back towards the hotel, with a quick stop at Koa Spa across the road to make a booking for massages tomorrow.

Sam was in need of a nap so I busied myself while she slept. I had a lovely swim in the pool while there was no one else around and enjoyed the hotel's tranquility. After a FaceTime with a friend, it was after 6:00 so I woke Sam up so she could shower before we went to dinner.

Tonight we were off to another one of my favourites; The Art Cafe, home of the best chocolate cake ever. I couldn't wait. The staff remembered me from last time when I famously had a mini meltdown when I was told there was no cake. It's funny now, but at the time I was devastated. As soon as I opened my mouth to ask if they had cake, he reassured me they did. Phew!!

We ordered a cocktail each and some starters: Chicken and Mushroom Vol Al Vent for me and Sam had Green Pea Ravioli. We both really enjoyed our starts, but the puff pastry on my vol al vent would have been nicer if it was crispier. Time for mains. I decided to stray from my usual and ordered a Duck Leg Confit while Sam had Chicken Kiev. Although my duck was nice and well cooked, it would have been much yummier with a sauce. So I was a bit disappointed and was kicking myself for not just sticking with my usual stuffed chicken breast. Oh well, there's always next time.

It was time for dessert. Sam was telling me she wasn't sure if she had room for it, but I was not going to let her leave without having the delicious chocolate cake. I was so excited and the cake was as good as ever. Not too rich, not too sweet and beautifully presented. Yum!! Now I was as happy as could be.

We paid our bill of just over $50 and left. We made a quick stop at Guardian Pharmacy so Sam could get some cream for some itchy stings she received while snorkelling and then it was back to the hotel. It's amazing how much a quiet day can tire you out!!

Tomorrow is Sam's last day in Bali with me, with her flight leaving late tomorrow night. I have a night and a morning to myself before my mum and dad arrive, followed by one of Dad's old friends from Canada who is having his first trip to Bali! I'm glad I'll be here to share some of it with him.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment