Saturday 15 March 2014

Bali, Day 8: Slow Sanur Days

 

Today's weather: mostly overcast with some beautifully sunny periods

Today's exchange rate: 10,250 Rupiah per AUS $

I was awake at 6:00 today and after some time keeping myself busy, I decided to walk down to the beach to avoid waking Sam up. The sun was already up so I sat on the beach and watched the light peak through the clouds as Sanur became more and more alive. It was a gorgeous morning to be out; dogs playing on the beach, people on their morning runs or doing their daily yoga. I just sat and watched it all happen before me.

I walked back to the hotel and was pleased to see Sam was up. I waited for her to get dressed and then we headed down to breakfast. The breakfast here is basic, with a choice of continental, Indonesian or American, but that was enough for me. Sam had an American breakfast and I got Indonesian. They were some of the best fried noodles I've had.

We hung out by the pool until it was time to get going. Sam had a tattoo appointment this morning at Big Rock next to Hardy's. This is where I got a small one done a couple of years ago. We walked down just before 10:00 and waited a little while for the artist to arrive and get prepped. Sam, having gotten many tattoos before, was pleased with the cleanliness and hygiene standards of the place otherwise there was no way she would be getting it done in Bali. Today she was just getting 2 small tattoos on her fingers so they didn't take very long and she was really happy with the results.

We wandered back to the hotel where we planned on spending the next couple of hours by the pool and that's exactly what we did. The clouds were starting to clear a bit and the sun was glorious. The pool, although a bit on the warm side, was lovely and mostly quiet. We ordered lunch of burgers and club sandwiches to enjoy while we sat.

We had a booking at Koa Spa at 1:00 for a hot stone massage each. I've had a couple of hot stone massages before. The first was nice, but completely ruined by the fact my room was overlooking a loud and busy Kuta street, the second one was also good but was my back only. This one I was looking forward to. Koa is a small boutique spa almost directly across the road from the Tamukami driveway. It cost just 90,000 Rupiah for the one hour hot stone massage. We were directed in as soon as we arrived. We chose our oil- coconilla for both of us (yum!), and got comfortable. The massage began right away and oh my, it was wonderful!! It wasn't the type of massage where the ladies are simply rubbing the oil in or painfully rubbing over the same spot until you're cringing. It was my perfect massage. They loosened up your muscles, climbed on top of the table and got your cracks out which is something that I love to do. The oil smelt delicious and the hot stones were perfect. It was a full body massage and we both left feeling amazing. I will definitely be going back before the end of my trip and also plan on purchasing some of that delightful coconilla combination in the form if a body butter.

It was back to the hotel we went. We hung out there for a while before it was time for me to head out. I had plans to meet up with a few people for a drink. So I left Sam to do her packing while I wandered down to the beach to meet up with these ladies. We met at Sand Restaurant which, as the name suggests, it located on the beach. It was lovely sitting there, chatting about our respective trips, favourite restaurants and what not while we listened to thunder clap somewhere in the distanced. I hoped that it wouldn't rain. We said our goodbyes over an hour later and went our separate ways.

I had some time to kill back at the hotel before our dinner plans so I busied myself with reading and doing this and that. Soon it was time to head down to the lobby, Sam's suitcase in hand, for our special dinner plans. They're actually so special that I'm not allowed to tell you much about them but at about 6:45 we were picked up and we enjoyed a delicious, authentic, home cooked meal with some wonderful Balinese people. It was a beautiful experience and I feel very lucky to have been invited.

After dinner, it was time for Sam to head to the airport for her flight home. We've had a great week together and some really good sister-time before she heads off on her next adventure in the UK. I joined her for the drive and was dropped back at the Tamukami. I enjoyed a nighttime stroll along the beach, bumping into some friends who are also staying at the Tamukami. Tomorrow afternoon, I will be saying hello to my parents, who will be joining me at the Tamukami for their week holiday.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment