Friday 16 August 2013

Anna's Top 10 Things You MUST Take to Bali

A lot of Bali newbies often ask the question "What are the things I cannot go to Bali without?" Here are my top 10 things I always take to Bali:

  • Ethical Nutrients Travel Bug

I'm unfortunately one of those people whose stomach just does not agree with Bali food. It doesn't matter how much water I drink, how often I wash my hands and use hand sanitiser, by the third day I am guaranteed to have constant stomach pains and we all know what comes with stomach pains... After trying a few different things- not eating eggs, constant hand washing, Yakult and probiotics before and during the trip- I decided to give the Travel Bug tablet a go. Lucky for me, it worked a treat. Not only did I manage to not have any stomach pains (and everything that comes with them), I also managed to go away without the anxiety of getting sick and ruining the trip. You can buy Ethical Nutrients Travel Bug tablets at your local pharmacy. It must be refrigerated and taken once daily 5 days before your trip and every day during your trip.

 

  • Suncream

Being on holiday in Bali does of course mean having some time laying in the sun. Although suncream in available in Bali, it's much more expensive than what you'd pay for it in Australia. We all love to come home with a fresh tan, but that doesn't mean you have to look like a tomato whilst in Bali.

 

  • Long strapped handbag

Like any other place in the world, Bali is not free of thieves and bag snatchers. Being a person that hates lugging around a handbag at the best of times, I always take a fairly small handbag to carry my phone/camera, only enough money for whatever I'm out for and that has a long enough strap to wear across my body. While I'm walking along the street, I always wear the bag on the side away from the road just in case.

 

  • Power plug adapter and power board

Although many hotels provide power adapters, it's always easier to take one to save the trouble of trooping around trying to find out, plus they're cheap to buy in Australia (about $12 in Myer). There is almost guaranteed to be a day during your trip when your phone, your camera, you iPad, your laptop all need charging at the same time. Once again, a power board is something that's just easier to bring from home and it takes up next to no space in your suitcase.

 

  • Cash

Depending on the length of my trip, I usually take anywhere between $800-$1400 cash and change about $200-$300 at a time. Many Bali regulars recommend budgeting $100 a day, but I have to admit, I don't budget. There are always days you'll spend more or less than others depending on where you eat, if you're shopping, travelling in taxis or private cars or partaking in tourist activities. I use my cash to pay for meals, some shopping and taxi rides. I only use my credit/debit card at hotels and when doing majority of my shopping at places like Discovery Mall and Matahari. I am also yet to use an ATM in Bali. This way, I avoid a lower exchange rate and any fees my bank may charge.

 

  • Water-Proof Mascara

Being a female, I do not go on holiday without taking make-up. A lot of the time there is no point wearing it because you sweat it off, swim it off or maybe you're planning on getting a facial, but mascara is my must for each day, whether I'm on holiday or not.

 

  • Hand Sanitiser

Being a developing country, it's always better to be safe than sorry. Hand sanitiser is easy to chuck in your handbag and bring out after handling money, before you eat, after you eat, whenever you need it and it could be the difference between enjoying your holiday and getting sick.

 

  • Mosquitoe repellent

Bali has a tropical climate that mozzies thrive in and unfortunately some of those mozzies are the ones that can transmit Dengue Fever. Getting bitten by one of these has the potential to make you very very sick. It's important to be very diligent with application of mozzie repellent when you're in Bali, both day and night, and many people - myself included - recommend spraying your room as well. When purchasing mozzie repellent, get one that is of tropical strength and contains DEET, which is much more effective in protecting you against the mosquitoes.

 

  • Camera/phone

I must admit, I take majority of my photos with my iPhone, but a camera in Bali is an absolute must. There will be so many memories you make there that you'll want to be able to look back on and remember, whether it be of your food, that amazing cocktail you had, the family of 5 all on 1 scooter, the sunsets you saw while having dinner on the beach. To miss any of those moments would be regrettable. Saying that, don't forget your camera charger either!!

  • Basic Indonesian Words

Like being in any other country, the Balinese appreciate visitors being able to speak a bit if their language. Not only is it polite, I also find that saying no thanks, I am walking (to refuse transport) or I have no money- not that they ever believe this- in Indonesian has a stronger effect than saying the same thing in English.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment