Tuesday 7 January 2014

Travelling With My New Nikon AW110

Not long before my November trip to Bali, I decided to buy a new camera. Previously, I was relying mostly on my iPhone for photos and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the best idea. Seeing as my last trip included activities such as snorkelling, white water rafting, quad biking and what not, I thought that it was about time I invested in a good camera that was reliable and perfect for travelling with.

After a bit of research, I decided that maybe the Nikon AW110 was the right camera for me. It's a shock-proof, dust-proof, water-proof camera with WiFi capabilities, making it easy to transfer photos from the camera onto your smart phone or tablet and seeing as I do all my writing from my iPad, it was essential.

Image from www.nikon.com.au

When my camera arrived, I spent a bit of time testing it out (see here) and was reasonably happy with it. It wasn't until I was actually in Bali that I really found out what a great camera it is. I found the battery life was great, the Easy Auto mode was perfect for those people who don't know when to use the other settings (like myself) or don't have time to switch between them (also like myself). It performed well in and out of the water, in the light and in the dark, and being able to easily get the photos from each day onto my iPad was great. The photos below are all unedited and were taken in very different circumstances, ie different lighting, weather conditions in and out of the water, but all turned out so well.

What I really loved about the camera was how quick the time in between turning it on and it being ready to take a photo was. I was able to grab it out of my bag, turn it on and take a photo in a matter of seconds; there was no need to wait for the camera to warm up and focus. This was perfect for times like when I was white water rafting and wanted to get a quick snap of the scenery before paddling along again.

At places like the Safari Park, my camera allowed me to zoom in on something (an animal in this case) and still take a great photo without compromising on the quality of the photo. For example, check out the photo below. This is in unedited photo that I took zoomed in through a dirty glass window at the Safari Park. Looking at the photo, you could never guess that it was taken in such circumstances.

I also found that it adjusted so well to different lightings. The photos below, for example, were taken just seconds apart. The first one, as you can see, is tainted orange due to the lighting in the restaurant. In the second photo, the camera automatically adjusted to the lighting to get the best photo without the discolouration. In a place like Bali, where restaurants generally have dim or coloured lighting, this was a great feature.

So all in all, yes, I absolutely loved my Nikon AW110. I was so impressed with how it performed and the quality of the photos, especially seeing as it only a compact camera with limited abilities. If you're looking for an easy to use camera that is perfect for travelling, I'd recommend going down to your local JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman or Camera House and checking it out for yourself. I can't wait to take it travelling with me again.

Click here for more details of the camera.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment